Disclaimer

These opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Peace Corps, Rotary, or any other organization to which I am affiliated.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Who Am I?


“Success is measured by the number of people you help on your way up.” This wisdom offered by my father, when I was just nine years old, helped shape my life goals. The idea that my success is intrinsically selfless and dependent upon my contribution to others is the motivation for my academic and professional trajectory.  My father and mother’s influence was critical in establishing my commitment to community service and development.  From early childhood, my mother, siblings and I were always involved in community service activities through church and civic organizations.  I watched as my mother worked tirelessly to coordinate youth activities to facilitate self-esteem, healthy relationship building skills and to motivate youth to reach their highest potential.  I also recall spending countless Saturdays making lunches for the elderly and sick. The holiday season was coupled with visiting the children’s hospital and nursing homes to sing Christmas carols, share laughs and smiles, and play games.  My father’s wisdom about success and my mother’s concrete example of altruism molded my sense of service and desire for building relationships and exchanging ideas. 

So who am I?...I am, but not limited to:
  • a child of God
  • a daughter
  • a sister
  • Auntie Esha
  • a teacher
  • a student
  • growing
  • a tree huger
  • a green lover
  • a volunteer
  • sometimes board
  • Returned Peace Corps Volunteer '06-'08
  • from Chamberlayne Farms
  • a listener
  • bossy
  • a graduate of the Univeristy of Virginia '05
  • flawed
  • blessed
  • loved
  • a friend
  • hopeful
  • and now a blogger...
This is simply a space for me to share my views, thoughts, and experiences.  These opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Peace Corps, Unicef, or any other organization to which I am affiliated.  I hope you enjoy :-).

3 comments:

  1. So what's funny is I was gonna say to add "green lover" to your list but its already there!! You did forget to add a beautiful person and the most wonderfullest bestest friend ever...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey no fair... you forgot... MY SUGAR!!!!

    ReplyDelete