Disclaimer

These opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Peace Corps, Rotary, or any other organization to which I am affiliated.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Chapter Ends- Saying Goodbye

My experience living and working in Burkina Faso yet again was indeed a rewarding one.   It was interesting this time (2011-2012) working in a larger town as before (2006-2008) I lived and worked in a small village.  I felt like I got to see two sides of the coin.  My first experience, most of my close friends did not have higher than a middle school education, while this time I had several friends with masters degrees.  While it was the same culture, the socio-educational and economic difference made it yet another culture within the culture.  Some of my friends teased me and said I acted like a villager, which I proudly agreed with having lived in village the longest.  I loved both experiences for different reasons and am thankful for all of the relationships that were created and especially those that will continue.


It was especially hard saying goodbye to special friends, the girls at the community house, the mother’s association, and the catholic sister I worked with the most.  The girls wrote a song in English and sang it to me at the closing dinner they had for me.  I hid midway through the dinner because I could feel myself getting emotional.   I feel as if Burkina Faso is and will always be a second home for me.  It’s the first foreign country I ever experienced firsthand and will never be forgotten.  So I cannot imagine saying a real goodbye, but instead see you later as I am sure I will be back in the near future.  Though my project ended in May, the relationship lasts forever.  Special thank you to the girls and the staff at the community house for girls, to the mother’s association, to the DEPBA& DREBA, to RAJS, and my English club at the correction office who all shared gifts and love at my departure.  To each of my very dear friends, thank you for your kindness, openness, and love.  Thank you once again to my Burkina.

Indeed I cannot close this without mentioning the United States Peace Corps who provided me the opportunity to learn about another culture, to share my own, and to work alongside the people of Burkina Faso to realize their development goals.  My foundation in international development work and exploration is attributed to you and the wonderful staff that is trained to support Peace Corps Volunteers like me.  While I will no longer be a volunteer with your prestigious organization, the lessons I have learned about cultural appreciation, development, and building relationships worldwide are invaluable features of who I am now as a person.  For that, I say thank you. 

www.peacecorps.org 



No comments:

Post a Comment