Disclaimer

These opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Peace Corps, Rotary, or any other organization to which I am affiliated.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

How I met Mrs. Stella Brown in the Restroom…


First, I must say that from now on, I think I will refer to such moments in my life as “stella” moments—no not stellar, though that is what I feel the moment is; I always want to give tribute to what I think of as the time where I felt I learned to hear God/ understand that God was communicating with me in my everyday life.  I believe we all have “stella moments,” but it is not certain that we will take away from the situation the revelation, the truth, the urge, or the lesson that is put before us.  This is my story.

On July 31, 2012, I was to travel from my hometown in Virginia to arrive in India on August 1, 2012 for a year of study abroad in the field of social work.  An exciting time for me as this is my first time travelling to a place where the people are not considered historically African.  I have travelled to several countries in West Africa, I have also been to Haiti following the earthquake of 2010, and have been to many places on the east coast of the United States where I see and interact with black Americans.  Thus all of my travels and much of my rearing has been within the African Diaspora.  I began to step outside of my comfort zone, which is necessary if I plan to call myself a citizen of the planet who is from the African Diaspora.  Well a thunderstorm, bathroom visit, and 4 flight schedule changes after, I finally arrived on August 4th.  My stella moment happened on August 1st.

After the thunderstorm delayed my flight on the 31st, I decided to take the same flight schedule for the 1st of August.  I assumed that I missed my flight because God was protecting me from some unseen danger.  While that may still be true because I thankfully did not see it, I think something more significant was at play.  On the 1st I arrived at the airport to find that my flight was delayed yet again, but this time it was due to a computer glitch.  Thankfully, the delay would not affect my connection to get to Qatar and then finally to India.  I sat in the airport and began to write a prayer to God, something I have been doing since I was about 12 years old.  The prayer was mainly thanking Him for the blessing from the Rotary Club for the opportunity and asking personal preparation as well as for those I would encounter.  I asked for protection for my resources, and my family.  But what might be most significant comes after the third line of my prayer, which says,

“Lord, thank you for your blessing.  Continue to bless me so that I may be a blessing.  This is a new exciting experience with awesome adventures and blessings ahead.”



After writing my prayer, I began writing a letter to myself, also pretty customary before a long trip so that I can write down my expectations, anxieties, hopes, and questions before the journey and when I am on the plane home, I usually read the letter and laugh at my insane insecurities, and reflect on my foresight and discoveries.  But if you know me at all, I got a little distracted.  An airport restaurant worker walked by pushing a huge bin full of French fries soaking in what I assume was probably salt water.  It was after 8:30pm and I had not eaten dinner.  So I decided to walk in the direction she was coming from to order some food, come back to the gate and continue writing while eating.  My flight was not due to leave until 9:20pm so I had about 25 minutes to kill without feeling flustered.  My letter to myself only got this far:

Dear Me,
As I wait for the plane to head to DC and begin this new chapter I hope for great revelations while I am away.  I am trying to keep my mind open and free of too many expectations of the people of India as I want to remain a clean and open/blank slate and absorb once I arrive.”

On my way to the restaurant, I went to the restroom.  While I was using it, I kept hearing someone say in a belabored tone, “Oh God, oh God.”  Once I finished in my stall, I noticed the door to the handicapped accessible stall was open and I called to the voice and asked if everything was ok.  An older woman replied and said that she couldn’t get onto the toilet and needed to go so bad.  I walked closer and found a honey brown colored woman with the most beautifully smooth skin and cotton looking grey hair sitting in a wheel chair facing the toilet trying to use the bars on the walls to pull herself up.  After getting her permission to help, I tried to get her to her feet.  She was a large woman, probably around 300lbs or more, and even with the “one-two-three-up” rock and stand technique that people use to get up, our effort was futile.  I found out she was travelling with her daughter who was about 10 gates away sitting with their dog.  Mrs. Stella was an enticing woman and I found out that I was not the only person who felt drawn to her.  Somehow she recruited a middle-aged white man to push her wheelchair to the restroom.  She told me he was outside waiting for her.   On my way out I let him know that she was having some difficulty and that I was going to get her daughter.  I found her daughter and she seemed to act as if her mother was a bit of a bother.  “I told her she wasn’t going to be able to go to the bathroom when she left, but she knows so much.”  Apparently, the daughter had checked the board she usually uses to slide from the wheelchair to the toilet.  But it is beyond my belief or understanding why she would do this, or assume that her mother should turn off nature simply because it was “work” for her.  

Anyhow, I walked quickly ahead of her daughter who was answering a telephone call.  I caught up with the guy waiting outside of the bathroom for Mrs. Stella and told him that her daughter was on the way.  I heard one of his friends say that they were about to start a game and was he in.  He got confirmation from me that her daughter was on the way and made sure we could take it from here.  Her daughter arrived in the bathroom and with some fussing, convinced her mother that it was a good idea to turn the wheelchair around and replace it beside the toilet so all she would have to do is stand, “two-step” over, and sit.  It worked…mostly except she ended up getting some pee on the floor, but I thought it was an overall success.  Her and her daughter decided to leave her on the toilet for a while because her nephew was there to pick up the dog that turned out to be too large to travel with as a carry-on.  I told her I would give her privacy and go check on my flight.  There was a small shop right beside the bathroom and I could see the gate from the shop.  The attendant was still standing there and so I stopped in the shop and picked up a bottle of water, apple chips and a book that screamed at me when I walked in Becoming a Woman Who Listens to God, by Sharon Jaynes.  That stop probably took about 2-3 minutes and then I walked just a few paces to my gate and saw the monitor flashing departed.  It was now 9:28pm.  And so even if I had not stopped in the shop, I still would have missed it because the attendant told me they left earlier than 9:20pm because the flight time was delayed so they try to get out faster.

 Nonetheless, I could not believe that my flight had left and I immediately began laughing because this would be the second time I would have to ask my family to take me from the airport.  I didn’t want to keep going through the emotional turmoil, if I am supposed to be gone for the next 10 months, then I needed to get the show on the road and wanted to get out of town.  I told the attendant what happened and she was understanding and also told me that I was definitely going in the book she was writing about the things she has heard while working at the airport.  We laughed quite a bit and she kept telling me how much of a good sport about this I was.  I assured her that while it was a change in plans, I would not have done anything different.   What I didn’t understand is why I didn’t hear them page for me.  Apparently there are no speakers in the bathrooms.  She got me on the next flight out to Cleveland put me up in a hotel and gave me food vouchers for breakfast and lunch.  I thanked her, introduced myself to Mrs. Stella who had since been helped out of the restroom by her daughter and the other airport attendant while I was re-booking.  I flew to Cleveland, checked into my hotel, called my sister and finally slept.

I called home the next day after breakfast and charging my cell phone to tell my dad what had happened.  I explained to him that at first I thought that God was protecting me from an unseen danger, which may still be true, but what I learned is that, I believe that God was letting me know that He listens.  I asked him specifically to continue to bless me so that I may be a blessing.  I am blessed to be able to get up and use the bathroom as I please and so why wouldn’t I help this woman.  She could have been my mother, aunt, grandma…anyone, even me!  I also wrote in the letter to me that I await great revelations.  More than anything, this was confirmation that He listens and that each step of this journey is but a faith walk.  It began as a faith walk as nothing seemed to fall into place in what I thought was a timely manner: my admissions letter came only 10 days before my initial flight after finding out that one of the schools I applied to had never received the paper portion of my application that I had sent months prior, my scholarship funds were released the day before I boarded the plane, but God opened up financial resources through a bank loan just days before to cover my ticket and initial costs while I awaited my scholar funds and to think I began preparation for this study abroad about a year ago.  Not to mention, once I was rebooked, I got rebooked again 3 more times in Cleveland, New Jersey, Frankfurt Germany, and Paris; and even though I do not know where my luggage is, I still feel certain that it will arrive and that more importantly I would not have changed my decision to help Mrs. Stella.  This journey is about faith and trusting God and knowing that He is with me. 

I began reading the book that I picked up and in the first few pages, I received clear understanding of my “stella moment”.  What I had not gotten the chance to write in my letter to myself was that this trip was also intended for me to get away and seek God for myself in what I thought to be a place filled with spiritual understanding and respect.  I had planned to take a retreat during the time I was away in India and possibly go to an ashram to meditate and be quiet so that I could hear God’s message and mission for my life.  But this “stella moment” showed me that God listens, that I can put full faith in Him as He has the situation worked out even when it seems odd, and that I can hear Him even in the midst of my daily life.  In the first chapter of the book, “God Still Speaks Today,” these things were reaffirmed when the author says:

“I’ve often thought, if I could just get away from the clamor and calamity of everyday life, perhaps I could hear that still, small voice.  But when I pored over scripture, I discovered that some of God’s most memorable messages were not delivered while men and women were away at a spiritual retreat, but right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of everyday life.  He spoke to Moses while he was tending to sheep, to Gideon while he was threshing wheat, to Zechariah while he was performing his duties in the temple, to the shepards while they were watching their flocks by night, to Peter and Andrew while they were fishing on the sea, to the woman at the well while she was drawing water for her household chores…I don’t believe it is a question of whether or not He will speak, but whether or not we will listen.  Henry Blackaby in his book, Experiencing God, said, ‘Right now God is working all around you and in your life.  One of the greatest tragedies among God’s people is that, while they have a deep longing to experience God, they are experiencing God day after day, but do not know how to recognize Him.’”


People refer to what Moses experienced as the “Burning Bush” experience or moment.  And well, I call mine the “stella moment” when God reaffirmed that He listens, I can trust Him, and that I do indeed have the capacity to hear Him and I do not need to go all the way to India to do so because He can speak to me anywhere.   I did not hear a voice as Moses did, but I feel like I “heard” Him because I began to understand the message that was being sent to me.  And well, maybe one day I will indeed have a new kind of moment when I actually hear a voice, who knows.  I will possibly call it some other kind of “moment,” but for now, I am thankful for this stella moment and I also know that there are many more to come.  Who would have thought that meeting Mrs. Stella Brown in the restroom would change my life in such a stellar way?






No comments:

Post a Comment