Disclaimer

These opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Peace Corps, Rotary, or any other organization to which I am affiliated.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Make up blog-Peer Educators


In December, around the time I was discussing with RAJS about their Aids Awareness Day,  I met with some people to talk about working outside of the community house so that I could offer the most support to the community.  Realistically, I can talk to a group of girls all day and everyday on how to make better decisions, avoid pregnancy, and to assert themselves, but the reality is, the coin is two sided.  I have never met a girl who got pregnant on her own, unless using some sort of donated male specimen.  So, all of the great conversations that the catholic sister and I were having with the girls would be even better if I could interact with a co-ed group.  

I ended up working with a group of 10 youth at a nearby high school.  It was refreshing to find such a dynamic and motivated group of young people!  We talked about the things they felt were pertinent to their peers and then in groups of 2-3 they planned and implemented talks to have with groups of youth.  We met as a group once per month from February to April and ended up accomplishing 2 talks.  One was on preventing unwanted pregnancy, and the other on supporting persons living with HIV/Aids.  We planned an activity on tobacco and alcoholism, but the group rescheduled a few times and in the end it did not work out.  It was indeed a great pleasure to work with those young people.    The conversations that they started with their peers will hopefully continue on.  

Thank you to the Peer Educators of Lycee Municipal de Manga.  Your efforts and work were done with love and appreciation for your peers and your country.  It was an inspiration to work with you J.


No comments:

Post a Comment