Disclaimer

These opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Peace Corps, Rotary, or any other organization to which I am affiliated.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Make up Blog- February HIV/Aids Wall




My town was having a large HIV/Aids Day through an organization call RAJS.  The acryonm stands for something, but I mess it up.  Something like Reseau African Jeunesse et Sante.  Basically, it means a network of youth for health issues, I guess when translated loosely.  Incidentally, the Peace Corps in Burkina was doing a Aids Day wall project all over the country during the month of December.  I signed up for it, but as many things go in the field of development, things do not always happen on time.  It was perfect because I was able to partner with such an influential organization for a common cause.  The idea was to do HIV/Aids awareness building activities, have people pledge to live a safe life, and to also be supportive of those living with HIV/Aids.  After the pledge people put their hand prints on the wall as their mark of solidarity for the cause.  RAJS liked the idea and was excited to be able to include this in their already dynamic schedule of events for the day.

RAJS began the day with a march on the main road of the town with many youth.  The girls from the community house were there.  It was such a pleasant surprise seeing them walk from the community house two by two to the site where the march began.  I happened to leave my pledge paper at home and was riding my bicycle franticly home to get it and saw them.  It made my heart overflow with love when they all began waving and yelling “Tanti!” (which means Auntie—the name they call me as a sign of respect).  It was a good way to cool down my nerves because I was definitely excited about the wall I had been painting the last 2 days and also because the first lady of Burkina Faso, Madame Chantel Compoare had agreed to jumpstart the pledges by being the first to put her painted hand on the wall.  Preparation for the event had been slightly overwhelming as the wall was only built 4 days before and it was not dry.  I couldn’t paint a wet wall, but somehow it came together.  It was pretty funny because people who were helping to prepare the event insisted that we needed to put latex gloves on the first lady’s hand because she would not dare put the paint on her hands, but to their surprise she was a trooper and went for the paint uncovered.  Since she set the tone everyone else obviously had to put their bare hand in the paint, it was awesome!  After the march, speeches by important personalities, and the wall pledge there was musical performances, and a dance party for the youth.   It was indeed a momentous and enjoyable event that I will never forget.  


No comments:

Post a Comment